Another White Butterfly Tray

Remember the Butterfly Tray that I made last year? Well, I have been searching for similar shaped trays since then, as I liked the design and wanted to give a second life to some gorgeous antique escutcheons from my collection... as it usually happens, just when I had almost forgotten about it I found not one, but two maple wooden trays like that one! and, next to them, a couple of smaller ones, carved into the shape of a fish. I took them all home, of course!
You can see the result of the other two here and here.
This is then the second white Butterfly Tray I have made. It has a more sober look than the previous one, as the antique escutcheon is of Neoclassical lines.. so, to compensate those straight lines and add 'depth' to the piece I have used part of a vintage brass necklace with a black oval enamel stone to recreate the 'face' and antenna of the bug, and distressed the painted surface a little more than usual.
This empty-your-pockets shabby-chic tray measures 26x16 cm, but despite its size it certanly stands out! All and all, a useful conversation piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment